Looking for an entry level job or internship in design? This is an overview of how to approach the search and a list of companies that might have relevant entry level and internship opportunities.
Photo Credit: Flickr user DeaPeaJay (CC-BY-SA)
Design deals with the art and aesthetics of making things attractive to others. Many companies employ designers in order to make their product and brand beautiful and to put their best face forward to consumers. Because of this a designer can work in almost any industry, but almost all of them specialize in a specific area. A few major areas a designer might specialize in include:
- Web design, creating beautiful and functional websites for users to interact wtih
- Game design, creating games of all sorts
- Product design, creating new products and prototypes
- Graphic design, creating graphics, logos, and layouts
- Interior design, making a room or the interior of a building look aesthetically pleasing
- Fashion design, creating clothing that may find its way to clothing racks
To get started in design, learn the tools of the design trade you want to work in. For graphic design, for example, learn how to use graphic design programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. You also need a strong portfolio and for many positions a degree in design, art, or a related field.