Looking for an entry level job or internship in online marketing? This is an overview of how to approach the search and a list of companies that might have relevant entry level and internship opportunities.
Online marketing uses the Internet to promote or market a product. Because online marketing is such a broad field, online marketers may deal with one or two areas. The main areas of online marketing include:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) — make websites rank high in a search engine’s organic (regular) results
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM) — increase a website’s visibility in search engines, often with paid placements and advertising
- Email Marketing — marketing a message to large groups of people via email
- Affiliate Marketing — generate sales by getting people to buy through your links
- Social Media Marketing — gain traffic and attention through social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook
- Display Advertising — use web banners on a third party’s site to drive traffic to your own site
A bachelor’s degree is required for most of these positions, but knowledge of and experience with the technologies involved can substitute for a degree. You’ll also need to keep track of the newest technologies in online marketing.