Looking for an entry level job or internship in agriculture? This is an overview of how to approach the search and a list of companies that might have relevant entry level and internship opportunities.
Agriculture is the process of raising plants and animals in order to sustain and increase the quality of life. Agriculture happens on farms large and small, from backyard gardens to farms spanning multiple acres. You can certainly work as a farmer or farmhand, but if that’s not your cup of tea (or milk), there are many other opportunities out there. Depending on your interests, you could work in:
- Agricultural Engineering: apply technology to farming
- Food Science: apply technology to the food we eat
- Farm Management: Mange a farm or ranch
- Nonprofits: Make food more accessible to all, or preserve part of nature
- The Federal Government, especially the Department of Agriculture
You need a bachelor’s degree for most of these jobs, preferably with a focus in the field you’re interested in (so lots of courses in agricultural science if you’re interested in the science or technology side of agriculture).